Wednesday, December 24, 2008

ABOUT SMHOOLIGANS.COM

Sometime in 2004, I was at my end with sportbikes. I was attending very expensive sportbike trackdays and riding the Bay Area, Ca. hills like I did at those trackdays - draggin' knee, and having a lot of close calls and a handful of spills. Hanging out at the Skywood Trading Post, I heard countless sirens and horns while emergency vehicles raced down to tend to yet another crashed rider. The modern sportbike, in my opinion, is a deadly machine on the street. Although the technology behind these motorcycles is a display of incredible engineering, it is also a curse. I was over the speeding and inherent danger of the modern sportbike. I wanted an alternative.

I grew up riding BMX, and I was a pretty good "freestyler" back in the 80's and 90's. My dream was to find a motorcycle that could really marry the two passions in my life: BMX and Moto. The SuperMoto was the answer. With the upright seating position and single cylinder "thumper" engine, The SuperMoto just made the most sense. Speed? It's all relative - and really... do you need to be going 110 MPH on public roads?

Since adopting SuperMoto, I created SMHooligans.com which has been an active part of the SuperMoto scene. This site gained popularity through the very affordable trackday events, group rides and videos and even became a world-wide phenomenon with the offshoot "SMHooligans Indonesia" site. Trackdays eventually became no longer available due to my work time constraints and liability issues, but were fun and memorable nonetheless.

For the past few years, I've weaned myself from riding the asphalt entirely. With issues like tickets, crazy drivers and traffic frustrations, I've taken up off-road riding which I enjoy both with my brother and my growing nephew. On designated trails, I don't have to contend with cars or competing motorcycles (especially the advance trails I ride most of the time). I also got much more serious about cycling, even flatland BMX.

SMHooligans has evolved, like most things do. Over time, I noticed that I wasn't the only one who was interested in SuperMoto and other things like off-road riding, mountain biking, road cycling, BMX, etc. and therefore I added the "TwoWheelLife.com" domain. However, SMHooligans was founded on SuperMoto and will always be a SuperMoto enthusiast website - with just a few other things added, as well.

I may not be riding SuperMoto (at the moment *insert evil laugh here*) but I know many of you are. I also know that many of you are trying to get started, and that's why I co-wrote "The Newbie Guide to SuperMoto" for any one interested in getting sideways.

I hope you enjoy the site, and RIDE FREE!

Sincerely,
-Dion "Dion Rides" Dangzalan

No comments:

Post a Comment